The Charsley Family

Douglas Charsley

Birth: 3 September 1892, in Eton district, Buckinghamshire, England

Father: Frederick William Charsley

Mother: Emily Fanny Eden (Gascoigne) Charsley

Married: Marjorie Faith Roberts in 1921, in St Marylebone district, London, England. Marjorie was born in 1889, in Hinton, Somerset, the daughter of John Roberts and Florence Charsley. She died on 28 January 1961, in Canterbury, Kent.
1901: Eastbourne, East Sussex. Marjorie F. Roberts is aged 12, born in Hinton, Somerset.
1911: Battle, Sussex. Marjorie Fath Roberts is aged 22.

1911: Buckingham, Buckinghamshire: Douglas Charsley is aged 18


Frederick William Charsley

Birth: 1856, in Amersham, Buckinghamshire, England

Father: Frederick Charsley

Mother: Fanny Kenyon (Charsley) Charsley

Married: Emily Fanny Eden Gascoigne on 4 September 1884, in Brighton, Sussex, England
The Slough, Eton and Windsor Observer, 13 September 1884 p4 column 7
CHARSLEY - GASCOIGNE. - On September 4th, at St. Peter's Church, Brighton, by the Rev. John Lovell Robinson, B.A, Chaplain of the Royal Naval College, Greenwich, brother-in-law of the bride, assisted by the Venerable Archdeacon Hannah D. D., Vicar of Brighton, the Rev R. H. Charsley, M.A., Chaplain of the Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, Uncle, and the Rev. G. Ernest Frewer, M.A., Rector of Fullerby, Lincolnshire, brother-in-law of the bridegroom: Frederick William, only son of Frederick Charsley, Esq., of 10, Lewes Crescent, Brighton, and Brickendenbury, Herts, to Emily Fanny Eden, youngest daughter of General Gascoigne, C.B. of Chesham Place, Brighton, late of Elfords, Hawkhurst.

The Slough, Eton and Windsor Observer, 4 October 1884 p4 column 1-2
BRICKENDONBURY ESTATE. - We take the following from a recent number of the Herts Guardian, thinking it may interest some of our readers:- "Amongst the marriage notices will be found that of Mr. F. W. Charsley, only son of F. Charsely, Esq., the recent purchaser of this estate, to Emily F. E. Gascoigne, youngest daughter of General Gascoigne, C. B., at Brighton, on Sept. 4th. By Mr. Charsley's directions, Mr. Campling of the Dimsdale Arms, Hertford, supplied a most bountiful supper to which about 40 guests were invited, including the tenant farmers, tradesmen, and others connected with the estate. Mr. S. Fowler presided. the health of theT bride and bridegroom and that of Mr. and Mrs. Charsley, sen., was drunk with heartiness and enthusiasm in champagne, for which an unlimited order was given. After the supper, Mr. Fowler read a letter from F. Charsley, Esq., announcing that he had given the Brickendonbury Estate to his son. Mr. Charsley entered into a contract on June 25th for the sale of the estate; but owing to an objection raised by the intended purchaser, Mr. Charsley rescinded the contract and advertised the estate for sale. The intended purchaser thereupon obtained an ex parte injunction to prevent the sale, undertaking to pay any damage the Court might consider Mr. Charsley entitled to in consequence of the injunction. Mr. Charsley therefore could not sell the property; but he has given it to his son in lieu of the Hartsbourn Manor, Herts, which he purchased for his son a month ago. - The supper was most successful; the bells rang merrily during the day and evening, and Mr. Charsley's orders for the thorough enjoyment of every person connected with the estate were carried out to the letter."

Occupation: Farmer. The 1881 census shows Frederick as a farmer of 425 acres employing 20 men and 3 boys, at Bloodhills Farm, in West Somerton, Norfolk.

1 October 1899, at his home "Pinewood" in Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, England, from injuries received falling from his horse in Stoke Park, aged 43
The Slough, Eton and Windsor Observer, 7 October 1899 p8 columns 3-6
  Quite a gloom was cast over Slough and the neighbourhood on Monday morning  when the  news rapidly spread that Mr. F. W. Charsley, of "Pinewood," Stoke Poges, had succumbed to the injuries that he received  by a fall from his horse at Stoke Park on September 21st. In our last issue we were able to state on the best possible authority that he was in no immediate danger, although still in a precarious state, but he afterwards had a relapse and despite all that medical skill could do passed away last Sunday afternoon. The deceased was only forty-three years of age, and deep and heartfelt has been the sympathy expressed with his wife and children in their terrible bereavement. He was passionately fond of hunting, and was a well-known follower of the Queen's and other hounds. He was also honorary field secretary to the Berks and Bucks Farmers' Harriers, with whom he was very popular. In fact, he took great interest in all branches of sport, and his name figures among a list of subscribers to the majority of our local athletic clubs. He was also interested in agriculture, and at the Slough Christmas Cattle Show used to offer two prizes - one of three guineas and the other of two - for the best pig fed by an allotment holder or cottager. He was also a staunch supporter of the Conservative cause, and in him the Slough Leopold Institute has lost a true friend. The No. 1 Reading Room was entirely furnished by his generosity, and from time to time he has made valuable additions to the library. Only at the last general meeting of the Institute he was thanked for presenting a framed photograph of his father, the late Mr. F. Charsley, and this now hangs in No. 1 Reading Room. Numerous other clubs and societies have also beneitted by his ready help. The inquest was held at the residence of the deceased gentleman on Tuesday afternoon, and was conducted Mr. G. Fells, the coroner for Mid Bucks, who explained that he was there at the request of Mr. G. A. Charsley, the coroner for South Bucks, as being a relative it would have been very painful for him to have personally conducted the enquiry. On the morning of the accident the deceased gentleman with several others had been assisting in catching deer at Stoke Park. Luncheon was served in the Cottage, and at this a discussion arose as to Tod Sloan, the American jockey's, method of riding. He has the saddle on the animal's withers, has very short stirrups, and crouching down obtains a very much shorter hold of the reins than our English jockeys. Mr. Charsley was advocating this style for cross-country riding, but none of the other members of the company agreed with him, and after lunch he said to Mr. P. D. Thompson, of Maidenhead, "As you think your way the best, and I think mine, we'll gallop as far as yonder tree." But although the deceased sat very forward, Mr. Thompson is certain that he did not alter his saddle before starting, and the exact reason of his falling off during the gallop is not quite clear. As the Coroner pointed out it might have been due to several causes, and the fact that the unfortunate gentleman was wearing a pair of new boots - which did not come out at the inquest - is another possible cause of his accident, as the soles of new boots are always slippery and may have caused him to lose a stirrup iron. Mrs. Charsley first heard of the sad occurrence in Slough, and it was in her trap that Dr. T. H. E. Meggs was driven by Mrs. Charsley's coachman to Stoke Park. He was first put to bed at the Keeper's cottage, and afterwards removed to his home. His injuries consisted of lacerations of the base of the brain and concussion, and on the Sunday following the accident Dr. R. S. Charsley deemed it advisable to call in a specialist. He lingered on for another week, recovering consciousness for a moment or two occasionally, but passed away on Sunday afternoon last as we have previously stated.

was held at the residence of the deceased gentleman, "Pinewood," Stoke Poges, at two o'clock on Tuesday afternoon. Owing to G. A. Charsley, Esq., the coroner for South Bucks, being a relative, the enquiry was conducted by G. Fells, Esq., the coroner for Mid Bucks.
  The jury was composed of Mr. W. C. Clifton (who was chosen foreman), Rev. U. J. Easson, Messrs. F. H. Mowatt, W. S. Macdonald, C. Frost, H. Vallis, A. Smith, W. Winkley, H. H. Yandell, W. Crowe, A. Hilling, and W. Stevenson.
  Police constable Perkins very ably carried out the duties of Coroner's officer.
  Before swearing the jury, the Coroner said it was possible some of them might be surprised to see him there that day, but he had come at the request of Mr. G. A. Charsley to hold that enquiry, as that gentleman was a relative of the deceased, and it would have been rather a painful matter for him. That was the reason why he was conducting it.
  The jury having been sworn,
  Police constable Perkins asked if the jury would mind going upstairs six at a time to view the body, as the room was not a very large one.
  The Coroner: They must view the body in my presence.
  Police constable Perkins explained that it would be more convenient if six went upstairs at a time.
  The constable's suggestion was acted upon.
  Dr. Robert Stephen Charsley, of Slough, was the first witness called. He siad: I am a medical practitioner at Slough. The deceased was my cousin, and his name was Frederick William Charsley. he was 43 years of age, and of no occupation. I was sent for on Sept. 22nd and found him unconscious.
  The Coroner: Did you find a fracture?
  Witness: There was no fracture, nor any external marks at all.
  Did you attend him till he died? - Yes.
  When did he die? - On Sunday afternoon.
  The first of October? - Yes.
  Did he recover consciousness at all before he died? - For a moment or two occasionally.
  What in your opinion is the cause of death? - Laceration of the base of the brain.
  In reply to the Coroner, witness said he considered that concussion and laceration occurred at the same time, but that deceased recovered from the concussion.
  The Coroner: Death was due to the accident?
  Witness: Oh, yes.
  Philip Disney Thompson was the next witness.
  The Coroner: Were you a friend of the late Mr. Charsley?
  Witness: Yes, sir.
  Were you riding out with him on September 21st? - Yes, sir, in Stoke Park.
  He was on horseback too? - Yes, sir.
  Will you state what happened? - While we were sitting at lunch in the cottage a discussion arose as to Tod Sloan's method of riding. Mr. Charsley was in favour of Sloan's method for cross country riding, but all the other members of the party were against him. After lunch he said to me "As you think your ways the best and I think mine we'll gallop as far as yonder tree."
  The Coroner: Did he put himself in the position Sloan does?
  Witness: He rode very forward. I was in front all the way, and after I had passed the tree I saw Mr. Charsley's horse galloping riderless. I turned round and saw Mr. Charsley on the ground, and went back to him. Mr. Allen and others came up and undid his collar, as he was foaming at the mouth and appeared in a sort of a fit.
  The Coroner: Did he recognise you?
  Witness: No, he never spoke a word.
  Had the saddle turned round? - I could not say. I only saw the horse as it galloped past.
  Had the horse a saddle on? - I could not say.
  Continuing, witness said he went to Slough as fast as he could for Dr. Charsley, but he was out. He then went for Dr. Fraser, who was also out. He told Mr. Charsley's man to get the first doctor he could, and he saw Dr. Meggs, and drove him to Stoke Park.Witness said he rode back towards Stoke in the hope of getting a doctor from that way, but he had an accident that delayed him, and when he got back Dr. Meggs was just coming. Deceased was put on a stretcher and taken into the keeper's cottage, where witness helped to put him to bed.
  The Coroner: Was he a good rider?
  Witness: I am hardly qualified to say. I have only met him with the hounds.
  Frederick William Kennett, coachman to Mr. Wilberforce Bryant, of Stoke Park, said he was in the Park both in the morning and afternoon of September 21st, and saw Mr. Charsley riding a big black horse.
  The Coroner: did you see him start galloping? - No, sir.
  Did you see him fall off? - Yes, sir.
  Did the horse put its foot in anything? - I did not notice that it did.
  Did the saddle slip? - I noticed after Mr. Charsley had fallen off that the saddle was hanging over the off-side about eighteen inches.
  Hanging by the girths? - Yes, sir.
  Did you go up to him? - Yes, sir.
  What was done? - I fetched water and vinegar from the keeper's, and Mr. Thompson bathed his forehead.
  Did he appear to fall on his head? - He appeared to fall on his right shoulder and his back.
  Backwards? - Yes, sir. And then he turned a somersault.
  Probably his head struck the ground then? - It probably did, but i could not say.
  The Foreman: Were you riding with him?
  Witness: I was riding at the side of him.
  Was he dragged at all? - No, sir. Both feet were clear of the stirrups.
  Did the horse kick him? - I could not say.
  Mr. Thompson was then recalled, and asked by the Coroner whether Mr. Charsley placed his saddle more forward before he started to race.
  Mr Thompson: I feel sure he did not.
  The Coroner: Who attended to the saddles after lunch?
  Mr Thompson said the girths of the horses were loosened at lunch time, and after lunch they were tightened again. Most probably Mr. Charsley tightened his horse's himself.
  This was all the evidence.
  The Coroner, in summing up, said he was very sorry to have come there on such a melancholy case. Here was a young man who went out in the best of health and spirits, and he meets with an accident which results in his death. It appeared from the evidence that at luncheon Mr. Charsley had been advocating Tod Sloan's method of riding, and other gentlemen seemed to have differed from him. This led to the gallop that had such a disastrous ending, but Mr. Charsley's saddle did not seem to have been altered in any way, in fact, Mr. Thompson said positively that it was not. It therefore seemed to him to have been an accident which might have occurred to anybody. It was just possible that the girths of the saddle got loosened or were not tightened sufficiently, or the horse may have got his foot in something and stumbles, or Mr. Charsley may have been sitting a little loosely in the saddle. they could not say what caused the accident, but it seemed very plain to him that it was a case of accidental death.
  The jury agreed, and at once returned a verdict of "Accidental death."

took place in the quiet little churchyard of Fulmer on Thursday afternoon, and was very largely attended, despite the threatening aspect of the weather. The ceremony was fixed for 3.15, and some little time before that hour rain began to fall. Fortunately, however, it proved nothing more serious than a shower. Shortly after 3 o'clock the mournful procession started on its brief journey. The coffin, which was almost hidden from view by the most lovely floral tributes, was borne on a Washington car, and was followed by three mourning coaches, the deceased gentleman's private carriage, and the carriages of Mrs. Siedall, Mr. Wilberforce Bryant, Mr. Williams, Colonel Ward-Bennitt, Mr. W. Macdonald, Mr. F. J. Burt, Mr. L. Hanbury, etc. At the church gates the cortége was met by the Rector of Fulmer (Rev. C. Joyce), the Rector of Stoke (Rev. Vernon Blake), Rev. G. E. Frewer (a relative of the deceased), and the Rev. U. J. Easson (curate of Stoke Poges). The Rev. Vernon Blake read the opening sentences of the Burial Service, the Rev. C. Joyce read the lesson, and at the graveside the Rev. G. E. Frewer officiated. The grave is situated on the south side of the church, and was lined with evergreens and white dahlias. The coffin was of unpolished oak, with silver fittings, the plate bearing the inscription -
Died 1st October, 1899,
Aged 43 years.
Lowered into the grave and buried with the coffin was a magnificent cross from the widow, and a wreath from Mr. and Mrs. Charsley, West Malvern.
  The principal mourners were Mrs. Charsley (widow), Masters F. and R. Charsley (sons), Mrs. Williams, Mrs. Roberts, and Mrs. Frewer (sisters), Rev. G. E. Frewer, Rev. J. L. Robinson and Gen. Scott (brothers-in-law), Rev. R. Charsley (uncle), Mr. G. A. Charsley (uncle), Mr. G. H. Charsley, Mr. R. S. Charsley and Mr. A. Charsely (cousins), Mr. R. Williams (nephew), Mr. Waters and Mr. A. Barron (solicitors), and the servants.
  At the graveside we noticed Mr. Barthropp (master of the Berks and Bucks Farmers' Harriers), Mr. Lowman (huntsman to the Old Berksley Hunt, West), Mr. C. Godfrey (chairman of the Slough Urban District Council), and Mr. J. Andrews and Mr. G. Young (representing the Slough Leopold Institute), Mr. W. Woollett (of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Freemasons of Buckinghamshire), Mr. C. N. Lacy (treasurer of the Slough Branch od the South Bucks Conservative Association), Captain <indecipherable>, Mrs. Secker and Mr. Secker, jun., Captain Clifton
, Dr. Drury Lavin, Dr. Fraser, Dr. Plumbe (Maidenhead), Mr. W. and Miss Macdonald, Miss E. Buee, Mr. W. B. Mason, Mr. W. S. Shelton, Mr. E. P. Marston, Mr. G. A. Scott, Mr. F. fisher, Mr. J. Harding, Mr. A. Pearse, Mr. H. Vallis (Slough), Mr. H. Vallis, jun., (Stoke), Mr. Williams, Mr. G. Gough, Mr. Sheridan, Mr. Kemp, Mr. Morton, Mr. J. Allen, Mr. F. Schmid, Mr. S. Hucker, etc.
  The floral tributes were very numerous and very beautiful, some being of exquisite workmanship and design. They were from Mrs. F. W. Charsley (widow), Fritz, Rex, Guy, and Douglas (sons), Mrs. J. R. Williams and family (sister of the deceased), Mrs. Roberts and children (sister), Rev. G. E. and Mrs. Frewer (sister), Mrs. and Miss Gascoigne (sister-in-law), General and Mrs, Scott (sister-in-law), Rev. J. and Mrs. Robinson (sister-in-law), Mr. W. H. and Mrs. Charsley (uncle), Mr. G. A. Charsley and family (uncle), Dr. R. S. and Mrs. Charsley (cousin), Blanche, Laura, and Willie Charsley (cousins), Dr., Mrs., amd Miss Plumbe (cousins), the Servants at Pinewood, "From the Brethren of the Herschel Masonic Lodge," West End Rowers Cricket Club, Fulmer Cricket Club, Captain and the Misses Higgins, Mr. and Mrs. Wilberforce Bryant, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Munt (Hedgerley), Mr. and Mrs. E. P. Marston, Mr. and Mrs. F. J. Burt and Miss James, Dr. and Mrs. Drury Lavin, Mr. and Mrs. Litkie, Mrs. Easson and Rev. and Mrs. Utten Easson, Mr. and Mrs. Anthony H. Lucy, Mrs. Thomas Cundy and Miss Cundy (Brighton), Mr. W. Woollett, Mr. and Mrs. Owen Williams, Mr. Leslie Stokes (Bayswater), Mr. J. J. Moore, Dr. Buee and family, Mrs. Stedall (Langley), Mrs. Dallas (Warren House), Mr. W. S., Mrs., and Miss Macdonald, Mr. and Mrs. T. Pritchard, Mr. and Mrs. Falkner (Brampton), &c., &c.
  The funeral arrangements were admirably carried out by Mr. H. C. Sharp, of High-street, Slough.

Buried: 5 October 1899, in Fulmer churchyard, Fulmer, Buckinghamshire

Will: proved 17 November 1899, by Rev. George Ernest Frewer and  Rev. John Lovell Robinson, the executors.

Census & Addresses:
1861: Rectory, Eastry, Kent
1881: Bloodhills Farm, West Somerton, Norfolk
1891: Pinewood, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire


Frederick Gascoigne Charsley

Title: Commander Frederick Gascoigne Charsley, D.S.O.

Birth: 1886, in Brighton, Sussex, England

Father: Frederick William Charsley

Mother: Emily Fanny Eden (Gascoigne) Charsley

Education: Canterbury School, which he entered in 1899, then the Naval Training School in Dartmouth, Devon.

Married: Isobel Christine (_____) Allen on 8 July 1922, in St Marks, St Johns Wood, London, England. Isobel was born in 1892/3. She was previously married to Captain W. R. Allen. Isobel died in 1963, in Northampton, Northamptonshire, aged 70
The Slough, Eton and Windsor Observer, 15 July 1922 p4 column 6
Wedding of Commander Charsley.
  Commander Frederick Gascoigne Charsley, D.S.O., of the Royal Navy, and Mrs. Isobel Christine Allen, widow of Captain W. R. Allen, R.A.M.C., were married at St. Mark's Church, St. John's Wood, on Saturday, the Rev. K. Corbould performing the ceremony.

Occupation: Navy Officer.
On 15 October 1905, Frederick, then an acting Sub-Lieutenant was confirmed in the rank of Sub-Lieutenant. (London Gazette 2 November 1906 p7368). On 5 May 1909, Lieutenant Charsley was transferred to the Emergency List at his own request (London Gazette 14 May 1909 p3650), and re-instated on the Active list 14 August 1909 with seniority of 30 June 1908 (London Gazette 17 August 1909 p6276). On 11 November 1919, Lieut.-Cdr. Frederick Gascoigne Charsley, was made a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order for "distinguished services in command of the ''Zoraster'' in action with Bolshevik ships on the 8th December, 1918." (London Gazette 11 November 1919 p13747). Frederick retired with the rank of Commander on 17 July 1922 (London Gazette 1 August 1922 p5704).

11 January 1967, in White Hall hotel, 1-7 Kensington Gardens Square, London, England, aged 81

1891: Pinewood, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire
1901: Naval Training School "Brittania", Dartmouth, Devon; Frederick Charsley is aged 15, born in Brighton, Sussex. He is a Navy Cadet.
1911: Overseas, Royal Navy: Frederick G. Charsley is aged 25


Guy Charsley

Birth: 8 February 1889, in Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, England

Father: Frederick William Charsley

Mother: Emily Fanny Eden (Gascoigne) Charsley

29 August 1913, in Vernon district, British Columbia, Canada, by drowning, while bathing.

Buried: Coldstream cemetery, Howe Drive, Coldstream, British Columbia, Canada

1891: Pinewood, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire
1901: Lee, London: Guy Charsley is aged 11, born in Slough, Buckinghamshire

Reginald Burton Charsley
Reginald Burton Charsley

Reginald Burton Charsley

Birth: 1888, in Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, England

Father: Frederick William Charsley

Mother: Emily Fanny Eden (Gascoigne) Charsley

Education: Dover College and Sandhurst. Reginald played cricket for Dover College in 1904.

Married: Elsie Kathleen Messenger in 1917, in Guildford district, Surrey, England. Elsie was born in 1884, in Farncombe, Surrey, the daughter of Frederick Messenger and Annie Barratt. She married, secondly, Arthur Mansfield on 8 August 1925, in Goldalming, Surrey.
1901: Godalming, Surrey. Elsie K, Messenger is aged 16, born in Farncombe, Surrey. She is a Boot Shop Assistant.
1911: Guildford, Surrey. Elsie Kathleen Messenger is aged 25.

Occupation: Army Officer.
Reginald, then a Gentleman Cadet at Sandhurst Royal Military College, was appointed Second Lieutenant in The King's (Liverpool Regiment) on 14 October 1908 (London Gazette 13 October 1908 p7383). He was promoted to Lieutenant on 1 April 1910 (London Gazette 10 June 1910 p4077). Reginald had been serving in India, and returned from Bombay to London, arriving on 20 May 1914 ( Captain Charsley was made temporary Major on 24 February 1916 (London Gazette 9 May 1916 p4669).

30 November 1917, killed in action in France, aged 29. At the time he was in command of his battalion, having gone up the day before to relieve his Colonel.

Honnechy British Cemetery
Honnechy British Cemetery where Reginald Burton Charsley is buried.
Buried: Honnechy British Cemetery, France. Grave reference II. C. 13.

Reginald's name is inscribed on the Memorial Board for the Great War in the school chapel at Dover College. The Herne Bay Ex-Servicemen's Club has a billiard table presented to the club by Douglas Charsley.  A brass plate on the table records the gift, in memory of his late brother, Major R. B. Charsley, who was killed in action.

Wisden 1919
Obituaries during the war, 1917
These particulars did not come to hand in time to be included in WISDEN for 1918.
CHARSLEY, MAJOR REGINALD BURTON (King's Liverpool Regt.) Wounded twice. Mentioned in Dispatches four times. Killed November 30, 1917. Dover College XI; Regimental cricket and Lahore Gymkhana XI.

Probate: Letters of administration granted on 3 January 1919 to Elsie Kathleen Charsley, Widow, of the deceased.

1891: Pinewood, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire
1911: Overseas, Miltary: Reginald Durton Charsley is aged 23

Return to Chris Gosnell's Home Page
Return to Chris Gosnell's Genealogy Page

If you have any comments, additions or modifications to the information on this page, please feel free to email me.
Created and maintained by: