The Leney Family

Alfred Charles Leney
Alfred Charles Leney
Painting by Oswald Hornby Joseph Birley
painting held in the Dover Collections posted at BBC Your Paintings

Alfred Charles Leney

Birth: 28 August 1860, in Dover, Kent, England

Baptism: 21 September 1860, in St James, Dover, Kent, England

Father: Alfred Leney

Mother: Catherine (Fremlin) Leney

Married: Bertha Backhouse Hulke on 27 October 1887, in St Andrew, Deal, Kent, England
Alfred Charles Leney is recorded as a bachelor, aged 27, living in Buckland. He is the son of Alfred Leney, brewer. Bertha Backhouse Hulke is recorded as a spinster, aged 22, living in Deal. She is the daughter of Frederick Thomas Hulke, Bachelor of Medicine. The marriage was witnessed by Harry Leney, Lewis L. B. Hulke and Charlotte Hulke

Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette 5 November 1887
27th Oct, at St Andrew’s, Deal, Alfred Charles (Fred), eldest son of Alfred Leney, Esq., of Buckland House, Dover, to Bertha Backhouse, third daughter of the late Frederick Thomas Hulke, M.B. Lond., Admiralty House, Deal.

Dover Express and East Kent News Friday 4 November 1887
MARRIAGE OF MR A. C. LENEY
On Thursday a large congregation assembled at St. Andrew’s Deal, to witness the marriage of Miss. Bertha Backhouse Hulke, third daughter of the late Frederick Thomas Hulke, M.B., Lond., of Admiralty House, Deal, to Mr. A. C. Leney of Buckland House, Dover. The ceremony, which was choral, was performed by the Rev. C. E. S. Woolmer, Vicar of Sidcup, assisted by the Rev. R. Patterson, Rector of St. Andrew’s. The bride, who was attired in an exquisite gown of rich white satin with court train, pearl ornaments, and passementerie, and a long tulle veil, carried a bouquet of gardenias, stephanotis, and other white flowers, and wore a gold bangle with a diamond horseshoe, both the gift of the bridegroom. The bride was given away by her brother, Mr. Lewis I. B. Hulke, (the Buffs); her bridesmaids were her four sisters, the Misses Edith, Mabel, Dora and Jessie Hulke, and Miss Florence Leney, sister of the bridegroom. They wore stylish gowns of white Indian silk and gold braid, and white straw sailor hats trimmed with white ribbon and tulle; each carried a handsome bouquet of white and yellow flowers, and wore a gold bangle with horseshoe of pearls, the gifts of the bridegroom. Mr. Henry Leney, brother of the bridegroom, acted as best man. The presents, which were very numerous and costly, included a case of nut crackers and plated tea-caddy, from the servants of Admiralty House, plaited marmalade jars and cruet from the servants at Buckland House, a Wedgewood afternoon tea service and a pair of Golconds ware vases, from Mr. Leney’s Dover employees, silver cigar-case from Mr. Leney’s London staff, and salt cellars from one of their old servants.


Children:
Leney's Phoenix Brewery
Leney's Phoenix Brewery, in Dolphin Lane, Dover, Kent, c1890
image from Jan Pedersen posted at Dover Kent Archives
Leney's Dover Pale Ale
Leney's Dover Pale Ale label
Occupation: Brewer

Leney's was a large and well known brewing company in Kent, famed for their Kentish Ales and Stout. Alfred Charles's father, also Alfred, bought the Phoenix brewery in Dolphin Lane, Dover, along with about thirty "tied houses" in 1859, and was eventually joined in the business by his three sons, Alfred Charles, Hugh and Frank. Alfred (senior) died in 1900, but the business continue to flourish and in 1904 took over the rival firm of Flint & Co. of St Dunstan’s Brewery, Canterbury. It is thought that Leney & Co., after their absorption of Flint & Co., owned about 160 tied premises, mainly in East Kent and the Rye and Hastings area of East Sussex. In 1926 the firm of Alfred Leney & Co. amalgamated with Fremlin Brothers of Maidstone to form the public company known as Fremlins Ltd., and Alfred Charles Leney became the first Chairman of the new company.

Brewing at Dover ceased in 1927 but bottling of beer continued until 1950 at the Phoenix Brewery, the beer being transported from the Fremlins brewery at Maidstone. After bottling ceased the old brewery was used as a distribution depot by Fremlins until its demolition in 1963. In the late 1960s Fremlins was itself taken over by the brewing giant Whitbread.

Notes:
Alfred served briefly as a volunteer in the 1st Cinque Ports Artillery Volunteer Corps, commissioned as a second lieutenent on 1 December 1877 (London Gazette 30 November 1877 p6894) and resigning that commission on 26 March 1879 (London Gazette 26 March1879 p2382)

Alfred was appointed High Sheriff of Kent for 1933 (London Gazette 17 March 1933 p1856).

Garden House Saltwood
"The Garden House", Saltwood, Kent, was situated on 26 acres commanding good sea views
Alfred and Bertha's house, "The Garden House" in Saltwood was aptly named. The beauty and variety of the garden was featured in a number of publications at the time, such as Beautiful Gardens, how to Make and Maintain Them (Walter Page Wright, 1907) and Flower Grouping in English, Scotch & Irish Gardens p146 (Margaret H. Waterfield, 1907)

Death: 17 November 1953, in Folkestone district, Kent, England, aged 93

Census & Addresses:
1871: St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent
1881: London Road, Buckland, Kent
1891: Waterloo Crescent, St James the Apostle, Kent
1901: Salisbury Road, Dover, Kent
1911: Saltwood, Kent: Alfred C. Leney, head, is aged 50, born in Dover, Kent
1916: Garden House, Saltwood, Hythe, Kent   (London Gazette 6 June 1916 p5669)
1933: The Garden House, Saltwood, Hythe, Kent   (London Gazette 17 March 1933 p1856)
1953: Rhodes House, Sellindge, near Ashford, Kent   (London Gazette 5 January 1954 p199) Sources:

Naomi Hulke (Leney, Samuelson) Pearson

Birth: 7 January 1890, in Dover, Kent, England

Baptism: 6 February 1890, in St James, Dover, Kent, England

Father: Alfred Charles Leney

Mother: Bertha Backhouse (Hulke) Leney

Married (1st): Guy Weston Samuelson on 2 April 1913, in St George Hanover Square district, London, England

Guy was born on 15 December 1890, in Kensington district, London, the son of Godfrey Blundell Samuelson and Annie Jane Davis. He was educated at Radley College, Oxfordshire and was an army officer commissioned as a second lieutenant in the 4th Battalion, Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment) on 1 June 1910 (London Gazette 24 June 1910 p4491), promoted to lieutenant on 1 May 1914 (London Gazette 2 June 1914 p4385), then to captain on 13 May 1915 (London Gazette 8 June 1915 p5522). Guy resigned his commission on 10 July 1920, retaining the rank of captain (London Gazette 9 July 1920 p7418). After his divorce from Naomi, Guy married Frances Crawley Lyne on 9 December 1927, in Newton Abbot district, Devon. He served in World War II in the Royal Air Force Reserve, commissioned on 5 November 1940 as a pilot officer in the Administrative and Special Duties Branch, on probation for the duration of hostilities (London Gazette 14 March 1941 p1528), later confirmed in the rank (London Gazette 30 December 1941 p7358) and transferred to the R.A.F. regiment as a flying officer on 1st February 1942 (London Gazette 30 June 1942 p2885), but relinquished his commission on account of ill-health on 14 June 1943, retaining the rank of flight lieutenant (London Gazette 6 July 1943 p3045). Guy died in 1973 in Tiverton district, Devon.
Census:
1891: Apsley House, Meadfoot Road, Tormoham, Devon
1901: Osborne Road, New Windsor: Guy W. Samuelson, pupil, is aged 10, born in London
1911: Petham, Kent: Guy Weston Samuelson is aged 20, born in London

Children:

Naomi and Guy were divorced.

Algernon George Pearson
Algernon George Pearson
Married (2nd): Algernon George Pearson in 1947, in Folkestone district, Kent, England

Algernon was born on 28 June 1889, in Pwllheli district, Caernarvonshire, Wales, the son of George Frederick Pearson and Marion de Hauteville Bell, and baptised on 22 August 1889, in Denio, Caernarvonshire. He was educated at Uppingham School and Trinity College, Cambridge. Algernon was commissioned as a second lieutenant on 12 January 1912, and placed on the unattached list for the Territorial Force (London Gazette 26 January 1912 p650), then transferred to the Pricess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire Regiment) on 7 August 1912, although carrying seniority from 19 September 1911 (London Gazette 6 August 1912 p5856). He resigned his commission on 5 March 1913 (London Gazette 4 March 1913 p1635) to be promoted to lieutenant in the special reserve of officers in regiment's 3rd battalion on 9 April 1913 (London Gazette 8 April 1913 p2534), then seconded to the Staff and appointed aide-de-camp on 5 August 1914 (London Gazette  28 August 1914 p6885). Algernon was promoted to captain, remaining seconded, on 1 November 1915 (London Gazette 7 December 1915 p12200). On 2 August 1916, Captain Pearson was seconded to the Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) (London Gazette 17 November 1916 p11159) and the Machine Gun Corps (Heavy) on 20 November 1916 (London Gazette 22 December 1916 p12486). He was promoted to temporary major on 1 March 1917 (London Gazette 27 April 1917 p4050). The Heavy Branch of the Machine Gun Corps became the Tank Corps on 27 July 1917. In 1918, Algernon was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for his action in command of 'H' Battalion's capture of the village of Fontaine (London Gazette 15 February 1918 p2156).
London Gazette 18 July 1918 p8442
AWARDED THE DISTINGUISHED SERVICE ORDER.
Capt. (T./Maj.) Algernon George Pearson, R. Berks. R., Spec. Res., and Tank Corps.
  For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He launched a successful attack with his tanks at very short notice, captured a village in the enemy's lines, held it until the infantry established themselves in the position, and brought his tanks safely out of action. He showed the greatest ability and courage in a most difficult operation. He again led his tanks into action two days later with excellent results.

Further details of the action are found in a biography of Algernon Pearson at DNW Auctions
Early on the morning of the 21st, orders were received for 24th Company to join a Composite Battalion from the 2nd Brigade under the command of Colonel Bryce for operations against the Containg-Fontaine Line, and Major Pearson at once moved forward his tanks to a spot about 1,000 yards N.E. of Flesquieres. The infantry of the 154th Brigade had been held up by machine gun fire and uncut wire on the western outskirts of Containg Village, and until the arrival of the tanks, were unable to make further progress.
The appearance at 3:30p.m. of 6 tanks of 24th Company at once brought relief to the harassed Gordon Highlanders, who were attacking this position. The enemy’s machine guns were quickly silenced and the Germans retired in Great disorder, leaving a large number of prisoners in the hands of their assailants. A large trench mortar firing from a concrete emplacement in Containg Mill, was put out of action by the tanks, which then proceeded to clear out the village itself. On the northern edge a trench full of the enemy was effectually dealt with, the garrison retreating hastily under heavy fire from the guns of the pursuing tanks.

Algernon was appointed as a General Staff Officer 3rd grade, and relinquished his temporary rank of major, on 16 April 1918 (London Gazette 31 May 1918 p6345). He relinquished that appointment on 27 February 1919 (London Gazette 17 June 1919 p7775).

Algernon married Edith Sylvia Craven, in 1915 in Sunderland district, Durham. Sylvia died on 10 February 1847, at Lavender Cottage, Littlestone-on-Sea, Kent. Algernon died on 5 July 1962, in Ashford district, Kent, aged 73.

Who's Who, 1935 p2600
PEARSON, Captain Algernon George, D.S.O. 1918; b. 28 June 1889; s. of late George Frederick Pearson and late Marion de Hauteville Pearson; m. 1915, E. Sylvia Craven; two s. one d. Educ.: Uppingham; Trinity College, Cambridge, B.A. University Commis­sion into Royal Berkshire Regt., 1911; served European War, 1914-18 (despatches, D.S.O.).
Address: Aldington, Kent. Clubs: Bath; St. Andrews; St. George’s.

Census & Addresses:
1891: Clarendon Road, Watford, Hertfordshire
1911: St Marylebone, London; Algernon George Pearson is aged 21, born in Pwllheli, Caernarvonshire, Wales
1947: The Dormy House, Littlestone-on-Sea, Kent   (Kenya Gazette 4 November 1947 p604)
1962: East Brabourne House, Ashford, Kent   (London Gazette 24 July 1962 p5956)

Notes:
The Strad May 1902 p5
  On Thursday afternoon, at Wampach's Hotel, an enjoyable concert was given by the Misses FOSTER-EVANS and their pupils, assisted by Miss E. Pender-Cudlip, Miss Enid Lloyd-Jones, and Mr. Bertram Hudson. The first part of the programme was devoted exclusively to the instrumental recitals of the pupils. “Petite Suite,” two violins and violoncello was played by Miss Dorothy Brooke-Hunt, Miss Ida Kerr, and Miss Naomi Leney. A violin solo, “Benedictus,” was given by Miss G. Ley-Bazeley ; a violoncello solo, “Romanze,” by Miss May Cooper ; and a violin solo, “Romanze,” by Miss Elsie Birch. Handel's sonata Trio in A for two violins and violoncello, was effectively given by Miss G. Ley-Bazeley, Mr. F. Higham, and Miss Cooper. The performances of the pupils gave evidence of careful tuition, and the brilliant rendition of the second part of the programme was a model and inspiration for the pupils to follow.

Death: 5 August 1969, in Battle district, East Sussex, England

Census & Addresses:
1891: Waterloo Crescent, St James the Apostle, Kent
1901: Earl's Avenue, Folkestone, Kent
1911: Saltwood, Kent: Naomi Hulke Leney, daughter, is aged 21, born in Dover, Kent
1955: Coolville House, Clogheen, county Tipperary   (Dover Express 18 November 1955)
1969: Holly House, Wye, Ashford, Kent   (London Gazette 16 March 1971 p2378)

Sources:

Ruth (Leney) Grubb

Richard Raymond de Cruce Grubb and Ruth (Leney) Grubb and son
Richard Raymond de Cruce Grubb and Ruth (Leney) Grubb and son at at Castle Grace, Clogheen, county Tipperary (15 August 1937).
The photograph is taken just a few weeks after the death of their elder son, Richard, in a flying accident.
photo by Poole Photographic Studios posted by the National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Birth: 6 November 1893, in Dover, Kent, England

Baptism: 5 December 1893, in Charlton near Dover, Kent, England

Father: Alfred Charles Leney

Mother: Bertha Backhouse (Hulke) Leney

Wedding programme for the marriage of Ruth Leney and Richard Raymond de Cruce Grubb
Wedding programme for the marriage of Ruth Leney and Richard Raymond de Cruce Grubb
Married: Richard Raymond de Cruce Grubb on 8 July 1914, in Saltwood church, Kent, England

The wedding was described in the diary of Winona Rosalie ‘Jess’ Armstrong:
It rained nearly all morning. Muz & I went down the town, then went round, to the car. Then we went off to Ruth Leney & Captain Grubb’s wedding, over at Saltwood. It cleared up in the afternoon, & was lovely & warm. The Bridesmaids had yellow & blue bouquets, & white dresses. We looked at the presents & then came home.

London Times 6 August 1913
MR. R. R. DE C GRUBB AND MISS LENEY
A marriage has been arranged between Richard Raymond de Crucy Grubb, 3rd King's Own Hussars, only son of Mr. and Mrs. S. R. Grubb, of Castle Grace, Co. Tipperary, and Ruth, younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred C. Leney, of The Garden House, Saltwood, Kent.

Richard was born on 11 June 1886, in Clogheen, county Tipperary, the son of Samuel Richard Grubb and Alice Hannah Binney. He was educated at Wellington College, Berkshire and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst. He was an army officer commissioned as a second lieutenant in the 3rd (King's Own) Hussars on 16 August 1905 (London Gazette 15 August 1905 p5619) and promoted to lieutenant on 10 February 1907 (London Gazette 28 May 1907 p3668). He was appointed adjutant on 12 January 1911 (London Gazette 13 January 1911 p320), promoted to captain on 12 January 1914 (London Gazette 23 January 1914 p602) and seconded to the Royal Military College on 10 August 1914 as an officer of a company of Gentleman Cadets (London Gazette 28 August 1914 p6795), holding that appointment until 9 October 1915 (London Gazette 12 October 1915 p10110). On 27 November 1915, Richard was appointed as a staff officer in the Royal Flying Corps (London Gazette 7 January 1916 p342) and attached to headquarters units as a brigade major on 30 January 1916 (London Gazette 22 February 1916 p2085), then appointed to the General Staff as a G.S.O., 2nd Grade, on 26 October 1916 (London Gazette 21 November 1916 p11385). Richard was awarded the Military Cross on 1 January 1917 (Edinburgh Gazette 1 January 1917 p35), and promoted to brevet major as a reward for distinguished service on 1 January 1918 (London Gazette 28 December 1917 p12). Richard was restored to the establishment of the 3rd Hussars on 5 July 1920 (London Gazette 20 July 1920 p7747), promoted to major on 2 April 1921 (London Gazette 12 April 1921 p2968) and to lieutenant-colonel on 18 June 1932 (London Gazette 12 July 1932 p4559). On 18 June 1936, on completion of his period of service in command, Richard was promoted to colonel and placed on the half pay list (London Gazette 19 June 1936 p3920). He became on Instructor (Class Y) in the Senior Officers' School, then appointed G.S.O. 1st Grade on 16 November 1937 (London Gazette 16 November 1937 p7186), relinquishing that appointment on 10 January 1938 and returning to the half pay list (London Gazette 11 January 1938 p192) and retiring a few days later on 15 January 1938 (London Gazette 14 January 1938 p290). On 11 June 1946, Richard attained the age limit of liability to recall and ceased to belong to the Reserve of Officers (London Gazette 26 July 1946 p3883). Richard died on 28 December 1970 at Castle Grace, Clogheen, county Tipperary.
London Times 29 December 1970
GRUBB - On December 28th, 1970, Richard Raymond de Cruce Grubb, peacefully at Castle Grace, Clogheen, co. Tipperary, late Col., 3rd Hussars, beloved husband of Ruth. Funeral strictly private.

Census:
1901: Castlegrace, Tullaghorton, Clogheen, county Tipperary
1911: Roberts Heights, Transvaal, South Africa: Richard Raymond De Cruce Grubb is single, aged 24, born in Clogen Cahir. He is in the 3rd K. O. Hussars.

Children: Notes:
Ruth was the bridesmaid at the weeding of her uncle, Frank Leney, to Nora Hale in 1900.
Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald 5 May 1902 p5
        MARRIAGE OF MR. FRANK LENEY
    PRETTY CEREMONY AT LANCASTER GATE.

  On Thursday last, at Christ Church, Lancaster-gate, the marriage took place of Mr. Frank Leney, youngest son of Mr. Alfred Leney, of Buckland House, Dover, and Miss Nora Florence Hale, younger daughter of Mr. John H. Hale, of 16. Lancaster-gate, W.
  The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a dress of white satin duchesse, embroidered with pearls and silver, trimmed handsomely with old Brussels lace and orange blossoms. She had a full court train of embroidered and open work Roman satin, trimmed elaborately with chiffon and ruches, and lined with white silk gauze. She had also some magnificent orange blossoms in her hair, and wore an embroidered tulls veil. Her bouquet consisted of white orchids, lilies of the valley, orange blossom and white heather, this and her diamond pendant being the gifts of the bridegroom. Her train was carried by Miss Ruth Leney (niece of the bridegroom), who wore a dainty little soft white satin frock, transparent yoke of lace and chiffon fichu, and a white fancy straw hat trimmed with white plumes and chiffon. The nine bridesmaids were:- Miss Hale (sister of bride). Miss Irene Churchill (cousin of bride). Miss Marjorie Fremlin cousin of bridegroom), Miss Evans, Miss Elliott Cooper, Miss Gladys Cornfoot, Miss Crossley, Miss Nicholson, and Miss Olive Barron. They were attired in white silk gauzo gowns, made over pale blue silk and chiffon, trimmed with corn appliqué lace and insertion; and wore hats of pale blue straw trimmed with ecru chiffon and insertion and white plumes and quills, and carried bouquets of Catherine Mermet roses and lilies of the valley. These and diamond "Merry Thought" brooches were the gifts of the bridegroom.
  The officiating clergy were the Rev. Prebendary Ridgeway, vicar of the parish, assisted by the Rev. Grevile-Marius-Livett, vicar of Wateringbury, brother-in-law of the bridegroom. The service was fully choral, and the church was handsomely decorated with palms and white flowers.
  Major Banks, of Oxney Court, near Dover, acted as best man. The bride's mother wore a gown of light Pastle blue voile embroidered in self colours, and trimmed with lace and Pastle chiffon. A smart toque to correspond with shaded pink roses was worn with this toilette. The bride's going away dress was a pale grey voile robe embroidered in white, trimmed with white satin and lace, and she wore a white carolina straw hat, lined with white chiffon, and trimmed with ostrich pluses, chiffon and pink carnations.
  The reception was held at the residence of the bride's parents, 16, Lancaster-gate, and later in the afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Frank Leney left for Paris and the Italian Lakes, where the honeymoon is being spent.
  The presents numbered over 200, and included a handsome silver engraved salver from the employees of Alfred Leney and Co., Limited.

Death: 4 June 1980, at Castle Grace, Clogheen, county Tipperary, Ireland

Census & Addresses:
1901: Salisbury Road, Dover, Kent
1911: Saltwood, Kent: Ruth Leney, daughter, is aged 17, born in Dover, Kent
1955: Castle Grace, Clogheen, county Tipperary   (Dover Express 18 November 1955)

Sources:
Return to Chris Gosnell's Home Page
Return to Chris Gosnell's Genealogy Page

If you have any comments, additions or modifications to the information on this page, please feel free to email me.
Created and maintained by: chris@ocotilloroad.com