Edward Wareing Ormerod on 31 May 1930 in Basingstoke
district, Hampshire, England. Edward was born on 18 May 1880 in
Marylebone, Middlesex, the son of Joseph Arderne Ormerod and Mary
Ellen Milner. He was educated at Rugby and graduated M.A. in 1904 from
Queen's College, Oxford. Edward was Rector of Newnham with Hook, Hampshire,
from 1924 to 1933, and Rector of East Woodhay, Hampshire from 1933 to 1958.
He died on 10 August 1959. 1881:
Upper Wimpole Street, London, Middlesex
Buried: St Martins, East Woodhay, Hampshire,
England; section E.12.1
Married: Philip Everard Graham Marsh on 18
April 1918, in St Peters, Bayswater, London, England Visitation of England and Wales vol 20 p69
ed. Frederick Arthur Crisp (1919): Philip Everard Graham Marsh, M.C., Captain Royal
Arrny Service Corps (attached Royal Air Force), of Wethersfield, co.
Essex, married at St. Peter's, Bayswater, London, 18 April 1918,
Eileen Ruth, youngest daughter of George Campbell Maconchy, of the Public
Works Department, Bengal, India.
Philip was born on 2 January 1895, in Bangalore, India, the son of Henry
Graham Marsh and Violet Hughes-Hallett. He served in France in the Army
Service Corps and was awarded the M.C. Captain Marsh transferred to the
Royal Air Force and was an instructor at Feltwell aerodrome in Norfolk where
he died in a mid-air collision on 20 December 1918. Flight Global 16 January 1919 Capt. PHILIP EVERARD
GRAHAM MARSH, M.C., R.A.F.,
who, with his mechanic, was killed by a collision in the air
while flying at the Feltwell aerodrome on December 20,
was the only son of Major H. G. Marsh, 19th Hussars (retired), and Mrs. Marsh, of Danes Vale, Wethersfield, Essex.
Capt. Marsh was educated at Lancing, and
got his commission from Sandhurst in
August, 1914. He served in France with
the A.S.C., won the M.C., and was mentioned in despatches.
He was then for a short time with the Border Regt., and
afterwards transferred to the R.A.F. He was instructor
at the Feltwell aerodrome at the time of his death. Capt.
Marsh was only lately married. The funeral took place
on Christmas Eve at Wethersfield Parish Church.
Elizabeth received a dressing case as a wedding gift. The item was auctioned
at Greenslade Taylor Hunt in 2000, and the
description gives some insight into Elizabeth's lifestyle: [Silver] A Victorian coromandel veneered Dressing
Case having inlaid gilt brass stringing and monogram, with lift up lid and
base drawer, the interior fitted with concealed mirror and letter
compartment and fitted tray. Containing a set of 10 variously sized and
shaped bottles and containers, all with monogrammed silver gilt covers,
London 1880, makers mark FP, also with silver button hook of small
dimensions, Birmingham 1900, an ivory handled manicure toll and 2 mother
of pearl handled manicure tools and a matching button hook and folding
knife. With leather carrying case and photocopied part of a family tree
identifying original owner, Elizabeth Emily Maconchy who was given the
case on her marriage in 1880, 21cms high, 33.5cms wide
Notes: Elizabeth was a member of an essay
society for teenage girls and young women started by the novelist Charlotte
Mary Yonge and known as the Gosling
Society. Each girl adopted a pen-name and wrote two essays a month for
Charlotte, and the best essays were circulated among them all. These
girls were all being educated at home while their brothers, if they had any,
went to schools and universities. Many were the daughters of rural
clergymen or landowners and led isolated and monotonous lives. It must have
been enormously encouraging for them to have a famous woman novelist
criticising their work and taking their intellectual aspirations seriously.
Elizabeth's pen-name was Potatoe. POTATOE, (Elizabeth)
Maconchy (1848/9-1927), Corrinagh, Torquay (new c.1866/7- after
1869). Third daughter of George Maconchy (1818-1889) of Rathmore, co.
Longford, and Corrinagh, Torquay, and his wife Louisa Richards
(d.1864), she married (1880), as his 2nd wife, Richard Mallock (d. 1900),
MP for Torquay.
Elizabeth kept a journal of her time at Cockington Court, before her
husband's death. Some of the journal is excerpted at the Cockington
1881: This winter we began to make the tennis
ground ... above the old croquet ground ... to do so we had to cut away a
great quantity of bushes ...and some trees - thus letting a quantity
of light and air into the house ... the
snowdrops were lovely down by the ponds. We began doing what we did ever
after ? moving them from under bushes and spreading them ... and bringing
some up about the tennis ground and plantation. ... There were very few
daffodils then ... a large patch in Yonder Lawn of Lent Lilies ...
and just a few of those tender, musk scented, creamy "Cernuus" above the
lower pond and by the top pond, which I was told Dart had planted long ago.
1882 (March): Tennis ground marked out and
played on first time.
(29th April) Great gale blowing all day ... We
lost over 120 trees. Two big elms in the rookery were blown down. ...; a
walk with D... up to the summerhouse and nailed up creepers. They all died
in the winter ,,, the East wind too cold for them. Roger planted an oak tree in the front lawn. It
was a young tree grown from an acorn which Mrs Mallock brought from
Algiers in 1875. It is the tree nearest to the ditch which runs round the
little plantation to the left looking towards the sea from the house.
1883: More time spent at the ponds seeing after
the work there ... Path made to Higher garden and back road being re-made.
Path across from Almshouses and Lodge also done at this time ... Laurels
by old drawing room being cut down.
Death: 1927, in Newton
district, Devon, England, aged 78
Occupation: Army Officer.
Ernest entered the army on 13 March 1880 when he was made Second Lieutenant
in the Royal South Downs, later known as the 5th Royal Irish Rifles (London Gazette 12 March 1880 p2020). He was
made lieutenant on 28 January 1882 in the 5th Batallion (Royal Irish Rifles)
of the East Yorkshire regiment (London Gazette 27 January 1882 p318), and
transferred from the East Yorkshire Regiment to the Madras Staff Corps on 11
September 1883 (London Gazette 28 September 1886 p4739).
Ernest saw action in the Hazara Ezpedition and was wounded in 1891, when he
was mentioned in dispatches by Major General W K Elles, CB: "I now beg to
bring to the notice of His Excellency the good service of Lieutenant
Maconchy, who arrived on the scene at a critical moment and was himself
wounded" (The London Gazette 20 October 1891 p5456
contains an account of the entire action at Ghazikot). Lieutenant Maconchy
was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order on 19 November
1891 "in recognition of services during the late Hazara
Expedition" (London Gazette 24 November 1891 p6229). Frontier and Overseas Expeditions from India
(Vol 1, Tribes north of the Kabul River) p176, compiled by the
Intelligence Branch of the Army Headquarters (1907) describes the action at
Ghazikot: Early in the morning of the 19th March the
outpost at Ghazikot, a small straggling village on the left bank of the
Indus, about three-quarters of a mile north of Kanar, was attacked. A
narrow street ran up the middle of the village; a small musjid
was at its south-east corner; while north and south of it, at a
distance of about 200 yards, were two narrow nalas
running at right angles into the river. The outpost consisted of the Dogra
company of the 4th Sikhs, under Subadar Dheru, and was composed of two
native officers and sixty seven men. The picquet was placed behind some
stone walls half-way between the northern nala
and the village, while the remainder of the company bivouacked in rear of
On the evening of the 18th some shots were fired by the enemy at the
picquet, and at about 3 A.M. on the 19th, the havildar in
charge of this picquet reported to Subadar Dheru that the enemy were
collecting in force in the nala
to his front. When they arrived close enough to be seen, the picquet fired
four volleys at them, on which the swordsmen of the enemy, with shouts,
rushed past the right of the picquet straight for the musjid
in the south-east corner of the village. The enemy being in this way in
rear of the picquet, the latter retired and joined the main body of the
company. A hot fire was then commenced on both sides, the enemy firing
from the roofs of the houses, and charging with swords out of the musjid.
At about 3-20 A.M., reinforcements, consisting of a company of the 4th
Sikhs under Lieutenant Maconchy, followed by a second company of the same
regiment under Lieutenant Manning, arrived on the scene. Closely following
on these, under Colonel Sir B. Bromhead C.B., came two
companies of the 32nd Pioneers.
At that time a very hot fire was going on, the enemy being in the musjid and on the roofs of the
houses. Half a company of the 4th Sikhs, under Lieutenant Maconchy, rushed
through the centre of the village and occupied the right front of it, but
in getting through the narrow street, Lieutenant Maconchy and three sepoys
were wounded. Colonel Bromhead with the Pioneers now joined this party,
having swept round the right flank of the village, while a company of the
4th Sikhs at the same time went round the left flank. Under orders of
Colonel Bromhead, all firing was then stopped, and orders given to rely on
sword and bayonet only. By that time the main body of the enemy had
evidently retired, but ghazis
kept creeping from various places, firing and using their knives in the
dark. When day broke the Pioneers and 4th Sikhs cleared the village, and
Captain DeBrath, with one company of the former regiment, advanced about a
mile along the path on the left bank of the river in the track of the
enemy's line of retreat. when four men were seen crossing to the right
bank on a raft, and about eighty returning to Bakrai at the mouth of the
Shal Nala. The ravines and caves in the vicinity of Ghazikot were
searched, but no more of the enemy were discovered.
Lieutenant Maconchy was subsequently awarded the D.S.O. and Subadar
Dheru, Havildar Waziru, Naik Ganesha Singh, Lance-Naik Alam Khan and
Hospital Assistant Ahmadulla Khan received the 3rd Class of the Order of
Merit for their gallantry on this occasion.
Ernest served in the Isizai Expedition in 1892 and on 28 January 1893, he
was promoted to Captain (London Gazette 2 May 1893 p2555). Ernest
was part of the Chitral Relief Force in 1895, and served on the North-West
Frontier of India in 1897-98, being breveted as Major on 20 May 1898 (London
Gazette 20 May 1898 p3167). Ernest was appointed as
Deputy-Assistant Quartermaster-General, Intelligence Branch,
Quartermaster-General's Department, on 31 August 1899 (London Gazette 23 February 1900 p1266) and
promoted to Major on 19 July 1901 (London Gazette 4 October 1901 p6486). He
fought in Waziristan in 1901 and the following telegram was received by the
GOC: Telegram from Adjutant-General in India, No 5280A of 31 December 1901:
"Ths C-in-C has heard with much satisfaction of the gallant behaviour of
Major Maconchy, DSO and ??, who, by their promptness at a trying moment
probably saved much loss of life". Ernest was appointed Assistant
Quarter Master General of the Intelligence Branch on, 29 November 1901 (London Gazette 29 August 1902 p5610),
vacating the appointment on 14 March 1904 (London Gazette 8 July 1904 p4345). On 18
March 1904, Ernest was granted the temporary rank of Lieutenant-Colonel
whilst serving as regimental Commandant of the 51st Sikhs (Frontier Force) (London
Gazette 5 July 1904 p4260) and he was promoted to Lieutenant
Colonel on 1 June 1904 (London Gazette 23 September 1904 p6138). On
19 March 1906, Ernest was appointed Secretary, Department of Military Supply
for the Government of India with the temporary rank of Colonel and he
held this appointment until 1909 (London Gazette 4 May 1906 p3080).
His promotion to Colonel came on 11 June 1907 (London Gazette 7 January 1908 p144), and he
was created a Companion of the Indian Empire (C.I.E) on 1 January 1909 (London Gazette 29 December 1908 p2). Ernest
was appointed Deputy Secretary, Army Department, Government of India on 1
April 1909 (London Gazette 4 June 1909 p4281) and held
this appointment until 1 April 1912 (London Gazette 3 May 1912 p3185). He was
created a C.B. in 1911. Ernest retired on 28 January 1914 (London Gazette 3 March 1914 p1735) but not
for long - with the start of the War, Ernest was brought out of retirement
on 12 October 1914, as Assistant Adjutant and Quartermaster-General attached
to Headquarters (London Gazette 20 November 1914 p9663),
which appointment he held until 24 June 1915 (London Gazette 29 June 1915 p6272). On 19
July 1915, Ernest was appointed as Brigade Commander (London Gazette 30 July 1915 p7478) to
command the 178th Brigade, 59th Division (the Sherwood Foresters). Ernest
led the Sherwood Foresters as part of reinforcements to suppress the Easter
Rising in Dublin in 1916, and 230 men under his command died in the
action. On 6 June 1916, Ernest was given the temporary rank of
Brigadier-General while commanding the 178th Brigade (London Gazette 2 June 1916 p5615). He was
created a Companion of the Order of Saint Michael and Saint George (C.M.G.)
on 1 January 1917 (London Gazette 23 January 1917 p924). The
59th Division deployed to France in February 1917, at which time Maconchy
was nearly 57. It is surprising that a man of his age should have been sent
on active service at this period of the war. He lasted only a few weeks
before being "degummed" by his divisional commander, Arthur Sandbach. He was
granted the honarary rank of Brigadier-General on 19 May 1917 (London Gazette 18 May 1917 p4863).
Notes: Who's Who 1907 p1149 MACONCHY, Col.
Ernest William Stnart King, D.S.O. 1891; Secretary to the
Government of India, Department of Military Supply; b.
18 June 1860; s. of late George
Maconchy of Rathmore, Co. Longford; m.
1895, Caroline Agnes, d. of
Alexander H Campbell, J.P., D.L., of 8 Cornwall Gardens, S.W.; one s. one d.
Entered army, 1882; Brevet Major, 1898; Major, 1901; Lieut.-Col.
1904; Colonel (temp.), 1906; served Hazara Expedition, 1888 (medal with
clasp); Hazara, 1891 (wounded, despatches, clasp, D.S.O.); Izazai
expedition, 1892; Chitral Relief Force, 1895 (medal with clasp);
North-West Frontier of India, 1897-98 (despatches, brevet of Major, three
clasps); Waziristan, 1901 (clasp); A.Q.M.G. Intelligence, India, 1903;
Commanding 51st Sikhs Frontier Force, 1904. Address:
c/o Messrs. Grindlay and Co., 61 Parliament Street, S.W. Club:
Naval and Military.
Occupation: Magistrate. George was Justice
of the Peace for county Longford and county Wexford. George was High
Sherriff of county Longford in 1846 Death: 30 October 1889
Arms: Arms: Gironny of eight, gu, and
ermine, on a fess, or, three thistles, slipped. ppr. Crest: A demi swan, wings expanded,
ppr. Motto: Humani nihil alienum
("Nothing concerning man is indifferent to me") Seat: Rathmore, Aughadiffe, county
Married: Lilian Constantia Metherall on 6
April 1887, in Bankipore, Bengal Presidency, India. Lilian was born in
1864/5, the daughter of J. L. Metherall, of Calcutta. She died in 1927, in Cheltenham
district, Gloucestershire. The
Times of India, 12 April 1887 April 6th at Bankipore GC Maconchy Public Works
Dept son of G Maconchy esq of County Longford Ireland and Torquay Devon to
Lilian Constantia daughter of JL Metherall of Calcutta
June 1907, in Filey, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, aged 48
Obituary: Indian Engineering, 22 June 1907 The Late Mr.
G.C. Maconchy. - By the death of Mr. George Campbell Maconchy the
Bengal P.W.D. loses the services of a very valuable officer and a zealous
servant. The late Mr. Maconchy joined the Indian Public Works Department,
after competitive examination, from the Royal Indian Engineering College,
Coopers Hill, in September 1880. He did not, however, arrive in India
until October 1881, having gone through a year's practical training in
England on the construction of girders, screw piles, piers and general
machine work at Messrs. Hawkes and Crawshay's works at Gateshead, and on
the construction of a new reservoir for the Bradford water-works. His
first posting was to the Balasore Division. He was in charge of the
Calcutta Second Division for a short period, from March 1891 to January
1892, when he was made Under-Secretary to the Local Government, an
appointment which he held, with great credit, for more than two years. He
proceeded on furlough early in 1896 and in 1897, on his return to duty, he
was employed on Famine relief works and held charge of the Saran Famine
Relief Division. In 1901 again, he was placed on special duty in
connection with protective irrigation works in Bengal; and in 1902 he held
the appointment of Sanitary Engineer to the Government of Bengal for six
months, in addition to being Executive Engineer in charge of the Northern
Drainage Embankment Division. He was promoted to the Superintending
Engineer class in March 1903, and when in charge of the South-Western
Circle he was appointed to act as a member of the Boiler Commission, 1903.
In May last year he proceeded on 19 months' leave, never to return, having
died at Filey in Yorkshire on the 5th June 1907 at the comparatively early
age of 48. He was one of the best men of the Bengal P.W.D. and his death
is a distinct loss to the Province.
January 1920, in action in Waziristan, India, aged 23. George Maconchy is
memorialised at the Delhi Memorial (India Gate), Face 31, and on the front
panel of the War Memorial in Hook, Hampshire. The altar at St Nicholas in
Newnham, Hampshire, was given "in memory of Capt. G.A.Maconchy, 5th Royal
Gurkha Rifles, k.i.a. Waziristan, 1920"
Death: England Death Index
(1Q1930 vol 5b p240); exact date from thepeerage.com
citing Burke's Peerage and Baronetage,
106th edition vol 1 p181 by Charles Mosley (1999)
Birth: 30 May 1793
Father: John Maconchy
Mother: Helen (Cleghorn) Maconchy
Deborah King in March 1816. Deborah was the daughter of Stewart King, of
Donaghmeda, county Dublin, Master in Chancery. Deborah's sister, Anna
Letitia married John's brother, William Maconchy.
Notes: In 1825, John bought the house
"Violet Hill" on Springdale Road in Raheny, county Dublin, and renamed it
"Edenmore" after his family estates in county Longford. The house and lands
were sold to a railway company in 1847, and today Edenmore houses St
College, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, receiving his diploma in
December 1875, followed by successful examinations at the Highland and
Agricultual Society of Scotland, and the Royal Agricultural Society.
(The Agricultural Students' Gazette, April 1876, p85) THE HIGHLAND AND AGRICULTURAL
examinations of this Society for certificates and diplomas in Agriculture
took place at the Society's Chambers, in
Edinburgh, on March 21st and 22nd. Four students of the College entered as
Candidates. Maconchy obtained the diploma and life-membership of the
Society ; Baker, Cathcart, and Russell obtained first-class certificates,
which entitle them to compete for the diploma when of age.
(The Agricultural Students' Gazette, June 1876, p104) EXAMINATIONS,-In the examination
held by the Royal Agricultural Society, at London, in April, J.A. Maconchy
and D.L. Janasz obtained the life membership of the Society, with
first-class certificates, the former receiving a prize of £25 the
latter one of £15.
John was captain of the College Football XV, won the One Mile Race, and was
Senior Vice-President of the Debating and Literary Society (debating such
topics as "That the importation of Foreign Live Stock into this country
ought to be prohibited"
Students' Gazette, April 1865, p12) JA Maconchy (Captain for 1875)
- A good forward in the scrimmage,
though rather light: too slow outside.
(The Agricultural Students'
Gazette, October 1875, p52)
ONE MILE RACE.
- J.A. Maconchy 1, H.K. Norris 2, T.M.
Jameson 3, K.F. Brown-Constable 0, -After going two laps at a slow pace, Maconchy drew
out from the rest, and soon led by ten yards, Norris taking second place.
No further change in position took place, Maconchy coming right away in
the last lap, and winning easily by 40 yards. Time, 5 min. 26 secs.
Married: Gertrude Annie Tottenham on 16
August 1887, in Dublin South district, county Dublin, Ireland. Gertrude
was born on 14 November 1856, the daughter of Robert Tottenham, of Annamult,
county Kilkenny, and Mary Bids (Synge) Tottenham. Gertrude died in July
1947, in Dublin North district, county Dublin, aged 90.
Marriage: Ireland Marriage Index
(2Q1913 Dublin North vol 2 p439, and 2Q1913 Dublin South vol 2 p621);
exact date from Peerage News; Henry birth from England
Birth Index (4Q1882 Clitheroe vol 8e p308) with month from Peerage News